Accountant and Office Manager
This newly created role offers the opportunity for a driven and eager accounting professional to take ownership of the finance & accounting and office management functions for a network of Montessori schools in Orange County. Reporting to and working closely with the founders of Great Foundations Montessori, as our accountant and office manager you will be responsible for overseeing or completing finance & accounting and essential administrative functions.
This could be the ideal opportunity for you if you:
- Have strong accounting and organizational skills, exceptional accuracy and attention to detail;
- Demonstrate sensitivity and discretion in handling confidential information;
- Are able to organize and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines and independently manage and execute a wide variety of accounting and administrative tasks;
- Resolve routine accounting problems with minimal direction, and
- Are a true “go-getter” who can take a project or task and run with it through to completion
Your primary function will be as our Accountant (90%) and you will perform the following functions:
- Compile, review and analyze financial information detailing assets, liabilities and equity, and profit and loss accounts based on financial information and documents submitted by each school.
- Based on the compiled and analyzed financial information, prepare financial statements, estimates, summaries and other financial analyses and reports such as balance sheet, profit and loss statements and statements of cash flow to show the current financial position or each school.
- Prepare budget forecast, capital expenditure and operating plans.
- Periodically compare actual results of operations versus projections or forecasts. Bring to management’s attention any significant deviations from regular operations.
- Perform audits on the propriety of transactions and make necessary recommendations.
- Prepare entries into accounts such as general ledger accounts. Prepare monthly bank reconciliations.
- Prepare reports to management re ratio analysis, break-even points, return on investment projections, and projected financing requirements with regard to the purchase or establishment of new schools or projects.
- Prepare and submit accurate financial reports to management in a timely manner to support them in decision-making. Update management with current cash position and recommend ways to increase profitability and reduce overhead expenses
- Research, analyze, develop and maintain accounts receivable computerized system that is best suitable to the company’s business.
- Supervise the billing clerk. Audit customer billing to ensure accuracy. Identify and resolve billing problems for collection purposes. Negotiate payment arrangements with customers.
- Prepare bi-weekly payroll, employee expense reimbursements and periodic termination checks
- Oversee the payment of accounts to ensure that all accounts are timely paid.
- Interface with outside professionals and agencies including payroll processing, county tax assessor, tax accountant, insurance brokers and others
Your secondary function will be as our Office Manager (10%) and you will perform the following functions:
- Supervise the administrator/billing clerk.
- Coordinate and oversee insurance policies, coverage and renewal periods in consultation with our brokers. Ensure that taxes and insurance premiums are promptly paid, are current and in force. Ensure that reporting requirements are complied.
- Manage vendor contracts. Supervise the scheduling of facility repairs and maintenance. Supervise contractors when necessary.
- Liaise with property management.
- Update and maintain office policies and procedures.
- This dynamic, multifaceted position requires the ability to anticipate needs and next steps, think creatively, take initiative, solve problems and take a broad perspective to help make the business a success.
If you are looking for a short-term role to serve as a stepping-stone to another career path, this is not the position for you. It will take some time for you to master all the responsibilities of this role, and we are willing to invest in your development. In return we look to you to make a commitment to this role.
Job Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration with an emphasis in Accounting, or a related field
- At least 6 months’ experience as an accountant
- Demonstrated proficiency in Quickbooks
- Capable computer skills including, including Microsoft Excel, with the ability to work with pivot tables, v-lookups and other intermediate formulas and functions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to liaise effectively at all levels of the organization
- A “can-do” attitude; be willing to pitch in and figure it out to get the job done.
- Experience with human resources, IT and facilities management preferred
Job Type: Full-time
Required license or certification: Driver’s License and clean driving record and the ability to pass an in-depth DOJ/FBI background check.
In addition to a competitive salary we offer comprehensive benefits, including medical plans; 401(k) with company match; a generous allotment of paid time off, sick leave, paid holidays and more.
Qualified candidates should submit their resume with salary requirements and the age group you are interested in teaching (Primary 3–6) or Toddlers (2–3) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the volume of resumes received, we regret we are unable to respond to each submission.